Friday, March 13, 2009

J to the O to the B

Hello, my name is Meredith Leigh Haynes. Figured I'd reintroduce myself in case you forgot who I was. Sorry for the crickets, it's been an interesting few weeks. Thanks for your prayers, calls, and emails. I know I was cryptic last week but I just wasn't ready to say much.

Now I am.

Michael lost his job. The news came out of nowhere and we were both pretty shocked. Actually, "pretty shocked" is the understatement of the year. I was speechless. He has been great about everything, and I have been... less than great. I hate surprises, and even more than surprises, I hate the unknown. If I knew it would take 10 months to find a job, I would be ok. But not knowing if it will take 10 weeks or 10 months is extremely hard. I just want to know. He was given a very nice severance package and that along with our savings will allow us to be just fine for a fairly long time--but only if we cut back... a lot.

I like to call it Extreme Lent--we've giving up everything. Even (gulp) DVR, my second true love. There have been several times this week that I have started to hit the glorious "record" button only to realize it is sitting pretty and mocking my DVR addiction.

I have so much to say but I'm afraid if I start it could be the world's longest post. And none of us need that right now. I will say that Michael and I are handling this pretty well and we know there is a reason for everything. We really do. That doesn't mean it isn't hard. Or scary. But we know there is a plan and we're willing to wait patiently (ok, maybe just wait) to see what God has in store for us. My only request: Please don't tell us it could be so much worse. We know that. Instead, we prefer to hear the optimistic stories, the stories where someone lost their job and then found one they loved even more. The only way to get through situations like this is to be optimistic and open to what lies ahead.

We did not go to jLife last week and several of the kiddos signed a card for Michael. They're so special. I wanted to share a few things they wrote...

"We are praying for you."

"You will find a much better job. God is calling you to do something better!"

"Hi Michael. Sorry about the job, but remember Jesus loves you."

"I love you! You're so cute! Let's get married." (Um, EXCUSE me? Girl better back off...)

They gave it to us at jLife this Wednesday and it cheered us up immensely. One of the girls politely asked Michael, "What did you give up for Lent? I mean, besides your job?" Ha. I love a sixth graders attitude. :)

So enough from me about this. I'm sure I will talk about it from time to time but right now I prefer to talk about other things. Continue to pray for Michael, and I ask that you pray for me too. I want so desperately to be the wife Michael needs me to be right now and I'm afraid I'm falling short.

Woohoo for uplifting posts on Fridays! :) Scratch that, I'm going to end this thing properly...

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. Philippians 4:4-6

5 comments:

Melissa said...

wow. jason and i were just talking last night about friends of ours who are losing their jobs and how we never dreamed any of us (us being the educated and hard working) would EVER be effected by this. So sorry to hear that and I can't imagine how difficult it is to be patient and trusting. What does he do exactly? Not that yall would wanna live up this way, but Jason has some weird, crazy connections up here...we'll be praying for you guys (and I don't say that to sound good - I mean it).

Ashley said...

Hi Meredith, you probably don't know me, but I went to grad school with Michael, and my fiance works with Steve Snyder at Atlas. One day I followed the link on Kat Horan's blog and have read your blog faithfully since then, you have a great writing style. When Steve said that one of his friends lost their job, I immediately thought about Michael. I am so sorry to hear that is was him. I hope you don't think I'm a crazy stalker :) but I have been thinking about and praying for you both. It is clear just from reading that you are both wonderful and faithful people, and I just can't believe that this happened. It really hit home to me for some reason. Oh, and I can't believe that anyone would tell you that it could be worse. I can't even begin to imagine that.

~Ashley Denton

Jax said...

Hi Meredith. I, too, followed a link on a friend's blog (may have been Kat's..may have been Emily's; I cant recall). Anyway, I sometimes pop over here (hope you dont mind) b/c you're funny, inspiring, a good writer and entertaining to boot. :)

Anyway, just a quick note to say I'm sorry about Michael's job. I'm not sure what he did, but if you'd like I'll keep my ears open if you let me know what his degree's in n jazz. And, I cant imagine someone saying it could be worse. Blah on them. Blah.

Personally, I left the law firm I was at...and then questioned everything for the two months it took me to land the job I have now. I mean..everything..about what I was good at, what I should do, etc.. I felt like I should have been looking for a job every waking hour, but that's impossible. Anyway, despite normal stressors, I'm SO.MUCH.HAPPIER. now. It took two mos and I found a great job. I mean...leaving the firm was a total blessing b/c I'm so much more fulfilled in my work these days. Michael will find something better. I know it. And in the meantime, you guys are definitely in my thoughts.

In This Wonderful Life said...

I will be praying for you guys :)

Katie said...

Hi Meredith, I sincerely doubt you remember me, but I went to SHS with ya :)

I stumbled upon your blog somehow a few months ago..you always have something uplifting to say.

I lost/was forced to leave my job back in October. While it wasn't the best thing for me at the time, it is showing me other avenues my life can take. I don't have a "real" job again yet, but I am working that much harder in college, and I'm spending a lot more time with my child. Also, it's given me an amazing opportunity to do some research I otherwise wouldn't have had time for. And I've just found out I will get paid to do the research. You have to believe, there's a plan for you guys and I think you know this.

Anyways, I just wanted to let you know I'm sorry about your situation, but hopefully it will lead to something more interesting, more fulfilling, or just somehow better! I'll keep you two in my prayers, Katie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...