Wednesday, March 18, 2009

I Will Never Let the Sun Go Down On You, Elton...

Holy Uptown Girl. Last night was amazing. Right now I'd like to throw out the words "best concert ever" but I think I need a few days before I make such a bold statement. Elton and Billy (we're on a first name basis)...those guys are good.

The concert started around 7:30 and they didn't stop playing until after 11. They opened and closed the show together but each played several songs on their own as well. I always get this surge of pride for an artist when they momentarily stop singing and everyone sings their song for them. Can you imagine writing something and then years later hearing a ginormous crowd sing the song you wrote--your words--in unison? I think that must be such an incredible feeling.

Lisa and I had a fabulous time singing along, clapping, tapping the feet, and both left with severe hearing loss. I believe we might have been yelling, "Wow, that was an amazing show" as we walked to our car. Speaking of amazing, there were also some very interesting outfits in the crowd. Did you know some unfortunate shoe store out there sells silver knee high boots? They do. And they should be shot.

I found this on youtube--it's from their concert in NYC a few weeks ago and was one of my favorites last night. I love this song and they did an awesome job singing it together (the lighting was great too):



I was really impressed with Billy Joel except for his attempt to dance with the microphone stand. Watching an old(er) man swivel his hips and (dare I say) pelvic thrust the stand several times is just awkward. I flinched a few times and then finally got over it because the song was great. And he's right, it's still rock and roll to me.

It's been a busy few days. Mom was in town on Monday, concert last night, and we are going to meet little Miss Opal tonight. I have yet to catch up on the sleep I missed from this weekend so I'm pretty much a zombie. A zombie who randomly breaks out into songs from decades past. I remember I was on an Elton high for several months after his last concert, so send your condolences to Michael now. Elton and Billy might last through Christmas.

5 comments:

Lisa said...

They should last through Christmas and into the New Year!! I will be singing right along : ) Had SO much fun last night!

Kaitlin said...

By far one of the best concerts I've ever been to!! I, too, about puked when Billy did his "special" moves on stage (even though I love him), and then again during Uptown Girl (my favorite btw) when that girl was dancing on both of them! So entertaining- I love when you go to a concert and can literally sing along to every song! They were awesome.

Heather said...

Sounds like fun, girls! Who is little Miss Opal, btw?

Leslie said...

Did I miss Miss Opal? Do tell.

Katie said...

Love this post! And oh my goodness, your blog is so stinkin' cute!! I'm so glad you left a comment on my blog! Where do you work? (Is that a creepy stalker-ish question??)

Yes, it was most definitely the Tulsa Zoo. Oh my goodness. Sheer madness!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...