Sunday, January 2, 2011

Merditude

When I think about who I am and who I want to be, there is one particular area that really needs work: my attitude.

I am a strong believer that everything happens for a reason, but as I typed that statement I rolled my eyes and added a certain obscenity before the word "reason." I've been dealt a lot of crappy cards but I've also been immensely blessed. And while it's easy to find the joys, it's even easier to focus on the frustrations, the headaches, and the road blocks.

My goal for this year is to find the silver lining in the thunderclouds. This is not to say I'm going to become Perky Merd because that's just not me. (Plus, excessively perky people annoy me. Aaaand there's the attitude.) :)

A perfect example: Michael and I are in the final stages of preparing our 2011 budget. After writing down each of the trips we're planning to take, I commented on how much money we're going to spend on airfare. I believe my exact words were: "How the hell are we supposed to save so much money if we're spending this much on travel?"

And then it hit me. How lucky are we to have friends and family to visit at all? It's not like once we reach each destination we're going to be miserable. No, we're going to be surrounded by those we love, having a ton of fun all over the country. Boo freaking hoo, Merd.

So my dear blog friends, my promise to you is to work on my attitude in 2011. I'm still allowed to be my self-deprecating, sarcastic self, but I'm also going to choose my battles carefully when it comes to pitching a fit.

On that note, I'm off to sign up for every single awards program airlines have to offer. If I'm going to be flying amidst the silver-lined clouds, I might as well get credit for it.

Cheers to 2011. And exit row seating.

6 comments:

Rachel DeCarolis said...

The money on travel...ohhh how I know what you mean. It hurts. A lot. Especially when there is a laundry list of things to save for.

But I must say, after a trip to see family & friends, I never ever regret spending the money.

Happy 2011!

Leslie said...

You DID factor in that airfare to Memphis, right?

Kidding.

;)

Kaitlin said...

Hooray for the fun trips we have planned for 2011!! We still need to plan that Euro vacay that all the cool kids are doing, ha! 2011 is going to be the BEST! :)

Laura said...

Every year, one of my resolutions is "be more positive." I don't know why I make resolutions that can't really be measured, but I always feel like this is an area I could improve in. (in which I can improve :) ) Anyways, best of luck with your attitude adjustment! And I want to hear about your upcoming trips! I know you have one VERY soon in Florida, but that one doesn't count! :)


P.S. I just booked a trip today to the great white North to visit my sister and her boys!

Savannah said...

you, more than any other blogging friend, make me laugh out loud on a consistent basis.

i think it's because i resonate with almost everything you write and because you're hilarious.

thanks for being honest, slightly sarcastic, and precious.

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

This is something that I really struggle with, too. And I've almost kind of just decided that it's in my material and people need to deal with it. :) Bad Trish!

Um, so when can we talk about where you're traveling to?? I'm going to have to practice my wanderlust vicariously, I guess.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...