Tuesday, May 27, 2008

The News We've All Been Waiting To Hear...

I heard a bit of good news this weekend that could be written 3 ways...

JUSTIN AND MICHELLE ARE HAVING A BABY!

or...

MY PARENTS ARE GOING TO BE GRANDPARENTS!

or...

MICHAEL AND I ARE GOING TO BE AN UNCLE AND AN AUNT!

Any way you look at it, it is fantastic news and we are all so thrilled. Justin and Michelle were very sneaky and kept it a secret for almost 4 months so they could tell us in person!!


So about the weekend....

Michael and I picked up Justin and Michelle late Friday night. We caught up for several hours and finally went to bed a little after 1a. It was very odd, Thumbs usually ignores Michelle but as soon as Michelle sat down, Thumbs jumped in her lap and stayed there for most of the evening. Those cats know their stuff--Michael and I will never have to take a pregnancy test, we'll just wait for the cat to tell us! On Saturday we spent the day at Utica Square and Zieglers (Justin and Michelle brought a picture they wanted matted and framed) and then came home for dinner. Michael and I prepared quite the feast: shrimp cocktail, salmon, a potato dish, green beans, rolls, and banana pudding for dessert. I was a little stressed while I was cooking but it turned out pretty well and we had a blast preparing the meal. Afterwards we watched Stranger than Fiction (one of our favorite movies) and they both became fans. Michelle wore Justin's University of Tulsa t-shirt all day and there was no way you could tell she had a baby under the Golden Hurricane.

Sunday morning we went to the 9:30 worship service and then mom and dad met us at home shortly afterwards. Justin and Michelle brought out a gift for the parents and of course I immediately thought, "Where's my gift?!" :) They opened the present and there were 2 brightly colored books. THEN all I could think was, "Those books are so bright and tacky, where are mom and dad going to put them?" Little did I know they were "The Grandma Book" and "The Grandad Book." I couldn't see the titles but I heard Michelle say, "We're expecting!" It didn't sink in for another 5 seconds (I'm a quick one...) and then I started jumping up and down and screaming. She is due October 31 and we are all so excited. We went to Gina and Guiseppe's to celebrate and spent the entire lunch talking about babies. It was fantastic.

The rest of the afternoon was great, it is always nice to have all 6 of us together. Michael made the comment that this is the first piece of really exciting news announced in our new home. I can safely say we will remember it forever. The girls took off for Babies R us so Michelle could introduce mom and I to the world of babies in the 21st century. It is absolutely crazy how many things they have now--I was surprised but mom was in total shock. And of course we had to look at all of the clothes. Mom and I tended to look at the girl clothes but Michelle went straight to the boys section. Sunday night Michael was a master chef at the grill and we enjoyed a big meal around the table. We were all sad when mom and dad left that evening, it was such a fun day.

On Monday we lounged around and had lunch at Chilis before we took the soon-to-be parents to the airport. Next time I see them they will be a family of 3! I can't believe it! I kept trying to convince them to move to Tulsa but they wouldn't have any of it. I do believe we will be visiting Chicago more than we ever did before. :)

As soon as we got back to the house we started cleaning and getting ready for some friends to come over at 7p for another cookout. Everyone brought a ton of food and it was all delicious. Most of Steve's (Kait's fiance) friends live very close to us but we had never had a chance to invite everyone over. We met Randy's girlfriend, Gina, for the first time and really liked her. Other guests were: Steve, Kait, Emily, Ryan, (Randy, Gina), and Adam. The guys spent a lot of time outside and the girls stayed (where else) in the kitchen.

What a fantastically wonderful weekend! I'm sure I missed things but as you can tell it was a pretty full weekend! Below are some pictures from the past several days--unfortunately we forgot to take some of the group last night.

Is there anything better than hearing wonderful news and then following it up with a 4-day week? I didn't think so either...











(Notice Thumbs next to Baby B...)


Soon-to-be proud parents...


Future Uncle Mikee and Aunt Merdi

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great account of a wonderful weekend!
Mom aka. Gramsey

Aubrey said...

Congratulations on becoming an auntie! Your entire family is about to change in strange and wonderful ways.

I loved your comment about the confusing abundance that is Babies'R'Us. True to form, my mom refused to allow the newfangled baby technology to bewilder her -- instead she decided to insist that all the stuff from back in the early 80's is actually MUCH BETTER than what's out there now. Riiiiiight. God bless Nana Kate. Gramsey will be SO much easier and more fun. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...