Monday, October 15, 2012

36 Weeks! And Still Pregnant.

I will never forget my 12-week appointment when my doctor discussed the risks of a twin pregnancy.  She threw around words such as NICU, pre-eclampsia, bed rest, and low birth weight.  Then she smiled and said, "And if you're one of the lucky ones who actually makes it to 36 weeks, I'll become your least favorite person and you will be begging me to perform a c-section that day."

Well.

At my 35-week appointment I was all smiles and full of cheer.  She and I had a great conversation and I left thinking "This is a piece of cake."  (Mhmmm.... cake.)

This past Saturday Michael and I ran several errands and had a great time outside of the house.  I woke up yesterday morning feeling pretty good so we went to Target and while I was there it hit.  Like a ton of bricks.  Or 34 pounds of bricks if we're being specific.  My legs hurt.  My stomach hurt.  My ankles hurt. 

We went home and I spent the rest of the day in bed.   I had A LOT of braxton hicks contractions and quite a bit of cramping.  It was enough to scare both of us into action.  I started packing a bag and Michael installed the car seats.  I lamented the fact that I'd yet to get a pedicure. 

This was IT!

Only... it wasn't it.  We went to bed and I woke up this morning feeling much better.  I went ahead and called my doctor and she told me to stop by after my perinatologist appointment.

The perinatologist appointment went really well.  He walked in the room, laughed and said, "Still pregnant, eh?"  Michael laughed and I glared (and then finally smiled).   Jude and Sloane are doing great and still moving a ton.  Jude weighs 6 lbs 12 oz and Sloane weighs 6 lbs 11 oz.

Because it deserves its own line: That is 13.5 pounds of babies, folks.  

After the sonogram he hooked me up to the heart monitors and we got to listen to their heartbeats for about 5 minutes.  It was amazing.  It sounded like a stampede of horses but then they would get in sync for 10 seconds at a time and it sounded like one heartbeat.  Incredible. 

We went downstairs for my regular OB appointment.  I reminded her about everything that happened last night and she said, "You might be having these babies this week!"  Then she checked me (ahem) and said, "Or not.  Absolutely no progress.  Nothing."  I told her about all of the pains and she reminded me I was pregnant with twins and everything I was feeling was perfectly normal.  

Let me tell you, there is nothing normal about walking .0004 miles per hour or needing your husband's assistance to get out of a car.  

So there you have it.  Two weeks. We prayed for Jude and Sloane long before they were in my belly and God blessed us with far more than we deserve.  I can do this.  I WILL do this!  The smile on my face might resemble a grimace but rest assured, I am so grateful for each and every pain because that means these two are still healthy and growing. Praise the Lord.

(And I'm getting a pedicure first thing tomorrow morning.)

36 Weeks!

11 comments:

Jenni (Mac) D said...

Eeeeeek! So excited for you!!! :) You look AWESOME, and who knows, maybe that pedicure will kick the babies into gear..."Mom is ready for us now, from head to toe (literally)! LET'S DO THIS!" I absolutely cannot wait to see them! And hopefully someone brings you cake. :)

Laura said...

How awesome that you're still pregnant at this point! Can't believe those babies are so big with two of them in there! You still look so amazing, and you don't have that big round face that so many women get at the end of pregnancy (or I have the whole time). I'm praying for you and those babies!

Landon and Jen said...

This made me laugh!!! :). You are doing awesome. The final days of my singleton pregnancy were a bit of torture, but the final days of my twin pregnancy were hilariously miserable. BUT, it is all worth it for big, full-term twins. Good job, momma!

Leslie said...

I'm sorry...I'm still trying to get over the fact that you have gained less weight with two babies than I did with one! ;) You are my hero!!! Seriously...you look amazing and you have embraced this experience in every way. I am so, so proud of you and just can't wait for these babies to arrive. Come on, Jude and Sloane!!! Auntie Leslie is ready to smooch on you!!!

Aubrey said...

You are AMAZING! Can't wait to see those little faces. :)

Ashley said...

You are doing an awesome job keeping those babies in there! I'm praying for you guys as you go through these final weeks. I know you can make it a couple more! Good call on the pedicure, it is the one essential for delivery. And full makeup and hair. I fully regret not getting completely ready before we went to the hospital. You seriously rock this pregnancy thing, you look amazing!

Corinne said...

I am loving your blog! I am 35 weeks and 4 days pregnant with fraternal girls... it's fun reading how someone else puts into words what this feels like! This final stretch is dragging for me but I know it's for the best too! I love your writing and look forward to reading it. :)

The Echols Family said...

Praise God for such an awesome pregnancy, for making it this far with babies still in belly, and for keeping both you and those precious babies healthy! I am SO happy for you guys, and continue to pray for health and safety over the next few weeks that you have left. You are BEAUTIFUL and doing an awesome job, momma!

Amber Massey said...

Yaay! Rockstar momma:) I got my first somewhat rude comment yesterday.. and all I could think about was you. Let the gawking commence, ha! Hang in there- these babies will be so beautiful and ready to come out before you know it:) Besides.. pregnancy looks so good on you, so two more weeks wont hurt a thing (Ok.. maybe your back, and ankles, and belly.. I'm already there at 30 weeks..)

Jacqueline and Travis said...

Yay! You are so close and look absolutely beautiful. Y'all have been in my prayers and I have been thinking about you everyday wondering when we will get to see pictures of your beautiful Jude and Sloane. I have loved keeping up with your blog throughout this pregnancy and so happy for you that everything has gone so well! The best times are almost here when you hold them in your arms!

Unknown said...

Oh my I so feel your pain I'm 35 weeks with twin girls, I have two boys that are 4 and 3 and they are extremely active. I move around with them when able hoping I would go into labor but to no avail. My doc is shocked at how far we made it but I'm so miserable but I'm waiting til Monday for that pedicure as well I sure need hope we make til then at least.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...