Thursday, March 24, 2011

Kicking Stress To The Curb

We received some wonderful news this week – Michael accepted a position at a new company!


Some of you are probably thinking, “I didn’t know he was looking for a new job," which is exactly what we wanted.


Those of you who’ve been reading the blog for a few years know the pretty cool story of how we ended up in Dallas. Michael was laid off from his job in Tulsa and searched for 5 weeks with no luck so we decided to open the search to Dallas. He met with a recruiter, had an interview that day, and accepted the job in the same week. The person who interviewed him happened to be his childhood friend’s dad (and CEO of the company). In a place like Fort Smith, that’s not unusual. In a place like Dallas, that’s a miracle. It became very clear we were meant to be in Dallas.


2 years later, we can't imagine being anywhere else.


From the beginning, his job was a bit risky. It’s a small start-up company and we knew there was a good chance it might not be successful. For the first year, things were looking pretty good. For the past year, things have been pretty shaky. I remember him calling in October and telling me he thought he'd be without a job by the end of the week.


Last week, he had two interviews and was offered the job. He told his boss today and starts his new job April 11.


I honestly thought I was dealing well with the stress of possible unemployment (again) but after hearing the news, the relief and joy were so overwhelming that it became apparent I’d been an absolute wreck for six months. I can’t even imagine how he felt. When you go to work on Monday not knowing if you’ll have a job (or get paid) on Friday, it’s pretty intense. In typical Michael fashion, however, he was calm and cool as a cucumber. He’s awesome like that.


After Michael applied for the job, someone from HR contacted him and said the salary would be quite a bit less than what he’d requested. We talked about it a lot, did some budget consulting, and decided peace of mind was more important than having extra spending money. We would be able to pay all of our bills and continue our savings, which were our only requirements. However, they changed their minds and the salary offered was exactly what he requested, which was a wonderful surprise. I like to think we were rewarded for making a sensible decision—a decision I’m not sure we would have made a year ago.


Did I mention we’ll be working 4 miles from one another and can meet for lunch whenever we want?


Did I mention we’re so glad this job is in Dallas and will not require another move?


Did I mention 100 pounds released from your shoulders feels absolutely amazing?


Did I mention I’m so ridiculously proud of my husband?


Oh 2011, you’re off to a great start.

10 comments:

Laura said...

What great news! Congrats to Michael! Hope he loves his new job! And how awesome to be able to meet for lunch! (wow--lots of exclamation points!)!!!

Kaitlin said...

SOOO very happy for Michael (and for YOU!)! I know this is a huge relief. What did I tell you, 2011 is your year!! woohoo!

Ginger said...

yay! I know the stress of dealing with an unstable job future I am so glad things are looking up for you. May 2011 be full of blessings :)

Tanner and Lindsay Cooper said...

That's AWESOME! Congrats to you guys!

Rachel DeCarolis said...

Congratulations! That is great news :)

lindsey fusch said...

congrats to you guys!! so exciting and glad you will be staying in the Big D!!

Jacqueline and Travis said...

Congratulations to Michael! Can't wait to hear more about the new job and so happy that everything worked out! I envy yall's working 4 miles from each other though, how wonderful is that!!!

Mom's the Word said...

Congratulations on the new job! I'm glad you're feeling relieved. My husband has voluntarily changed jobs twice since we've been married, both times being directly after the birth of each of our babies. No, honey, that wouldn't stress me out at all!

Jax said...

Congratulations!! I am so excited for you guys! That's incredible news! And you are definitely covert-I read this and went "wait, he was looking?" before I read where you called your readers out on thinking that...haha.. :)

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

It's wonderful wonderful news! And definitely fun that you guys will be able to meet for spontaneous lunch dates. Congratulations--I can imagine having this stress gone will feel wondrous in so many ways.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...