Thursday, January 22, 2009

We Had Confederate Flag License Plates. Wow.

Now that it's 2009, I've been thinking about 2010. Funny how that works. I was senior class president in high school, which means I was cursed...er.... blessed with the responsibility of planning all class reunions. Next year will be the big 10. I can't believe it. A part of me is excited, but the other part (which happens to be slightly larger) is not quite ready to embrace my oldness. I remember watching "Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion" (best movie ever) and thinking they were ancient. And now it's a year away. I can't wait to order a business woman special. And you better believe I am going to perform a synchronized dance with my friends before we are all whisked away in a helicopter.

A few years ago (4 to be exact), I was at Best Buy looking at some phones. One of the employees asked if he could help me with something and then told me I looked familiar. I politely said, "I was thinking the same thing about you!" (Even though I wasn't--who WAS this guy?) After a few guesses, we realized we were in the same graduating class. I sighed and said, "Can you believe it's been 5 years?" And then the jackass replied, "Yea, I heard we were supposed to have a 5-year reunion but our class president was too lazy to put one together." My eyes narrowed and then quickly returned to normal as I emphatically shook my head and said, "I heard that too! Seriously, how lazy can you get?!" Aaaand with that I politely smiled and left.

Just so you KNOW--no class at SHS has ever had a 5-year reunion. I'm not lazy. What a punk.

Below is a survey I stole from Haley's blog. All about good ol' high school. I was going to post the most popular song from 2000 but I looked it up and it's, "Who Let the Dogs Out?" Are you kidding me? Embarrassing. (Sidenote: I found a shirt once that said, "No seriously, who let the f-ing dogs out?" and I laughed for 15 minutes straight.)


1. Did you date someone from your school? I did

2. Did you marry someone from your high school? I did not

3. Did you carpool to school? I rode with my mom my sophomore year. I think I drove my junior and senior year.

4. What kind of car did you have? God bless the black tracker and the green lebaron

5. What kind of car do you have now? A grey Prius, with a messed up bumper

6. It's Friday night...where are you? At the Hill's house. Or people are over at my house.

7. It is Friday night...where are you? (now) Depends! Out of town visiting friends, at dinner/bar with in-town friends, or on the couch with Michael (is it bad that the last one is usually my favorite choice?)

8. What kind of job did you have in high school? I was a waitress at Calico County (baaahahaha) the summer between sophomore and junior year. And I tutored kids in math.

9. What kind of job do you have now? Communications/Marketing director at First Presbyterian.

10. Were you a party animal? Definitely not.

11. Were you considered a flirt? Definitely not.

12. Were you in band, orchestra, or choir? I was in choir the first 2 years. Quit my senior year.

13. Were you a nerd? Eh... 50/50. I took the hard classes, I didn't drink, but I was decent friends with everyone. I don't think people were embarrassed to be around me.

14. Did you get suspended or expelled? No. I did take advantage of my mom's hall passes though.

15. Can you sing the fight song? Not at all.

16. Who was/were your favorite teacher(s)? Mr. Ford--AP Biology. Loved that class.

17. Where did you sit during lunch? Same table every day all 3 years. My sophomore year I had a huge crush on someone so I positioned myself so I could watch him every day. What a creeper. I believe I am now 2 inches taller than him.

18. What was your school's full name? Southside High School

19. When did you graduate? 2000

20. What was your school mascot? Rebel (We yelled, "The South Shall Rise Tonight." We danced to "Dixie." We had confederate flag license plates. It never struck me as odd until I told people about it in college and got THE worst looks ever.)

21. If you could go back and do it again, would you? No. Absolutely not.

22. Did you have fun at your senior prom? Eh, I had an ok time. I was in charge of it so by the time I got there I was over it.

23. Do you still talk to the person you went to prom with? My junior year--yes! (Hi John!)

24. Are you planning on going to your next reunion? If I have the time... :)

25. Do you still talk to people from school? Not many. It's always good catching up with everyone but I didn't make a huge effort to keep up with a ton.

6 comments:

Aubrey said...

Between the "business woman special," "Who Let the Dogs Out," and "The South shall rise tonight," I was cracking up from start to finish. Fantastic post, Back Brace Girl. :)

Haley Nicodemus said...

First of all, when you mentioned song of 2000...I thought, "Oh my gosh, I don't remember this...did I put a song from now or then?" Then I realized you were just going to add it. :)

Second, I haven't thought much of the fact that we did, indeed, chant "The South shall rise tonight" and had all those flags. Very strange...and kind of twisted!

Thirdly (weird word), do you remember the guy from Best Buy? Was he Asian? I can't believe he talked trash about you to your face and didn't even know it. And it's even funnier that you went along with it.

Glad I didn't bash the prom in my Q&A...

Emily said...

Ok... such a high school thing to do.. place ourself in a postiion where we could see a certain someone everyday at lunch! Im cracking up! There was this guy who was a senior when I was a soph and I used to run bye his house in my sports bra and shorts.. in hopes he would be outside shooting hoops! He lived ini my parents hood:) ha!

Leslie said...

You know I loved this post. And though you may not keep up with many people from high school, I know you keep up with the important ones ;)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't think I know the words to "Dixie," either, but I seem to remember most of our Alma Mater. Is that strange, or do you remember pieces of that as well?

Michelle gets caught at work quite often singing the words to her high school fight song. What a goof! :)

Disco Stu said...

I have to admit that there were perhaps a tear or two that rolled down my cheek when I saw my name mentioned in one of your blogs. I feel like I've won something or like I need to now give some extremely awkward acceptance speech.
Anyway, as always - great post. Thanks for the entertainment and the memories. Yes, you were a bit of a nerd back then as were we all - but you definitely took notoriously rough years and made them brighter for all around you. Thanks again.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...