Monday, December 22, 2008

See That Girl, Watch That Scene...

I sometimes look back on college and wonder how I managed. Not because my classes were difficult (quite the contrary), but I'm surprised I didn't end up in the hospital for exhaustion along with Lindsay Lohan and the crew. As with most colleges, TU's weekends began Thursday night so I always made a point to schedule my classes in the afternoon on Friday. The evenings began at 11p, which is now 30 minutes PAST my bed time.

Anyway, Thursday night we went out... to a bar. It was weird. Kaitlin's brother was singing and we went to support him. As soon as I got to the bar it became a scene from "The Wizard of Oz." It felt eerily familiar and then I remembered I'd spent many, many nights there my senior year. I kept pointing at things, "And you were there... And YOU were there...." I'd actually forgotten the bar existed so it was a nice walk down memory lane. (And for those of you who think it's weird to forget a bar, we typically had a few drinks BEFORE we went out so there is your answer. Dad, we always had designated drivers. I am still a good person.)

On Friday we had our small group Christmas party, which was a blast. We each brought appetizers and/or desserts and a bottle or two of wine. The guys went outside to smoke some cigars and the girls talked about things guys don't really care to discuss. All in all, a great night.

Saturday I woke up and felt like I'd slept only 3 hours. 2 nights down, 1 more to go. We drove to Oklahoma City for Shelley's wedding. The ceremony was beautiful and the reception was great! I think we stayed until 11p or so and then headed back to the hotel.

While it wasn't a complete replica of college (we were in bed by midnite on Saturday, zero trips to Village Inn, etc.), I definitely had enough of it to realize I am so glad college is only 4 years and not 8.

On a completely different topic, we saw a commercial for "Mamma Mia" and I told Michael, "I am going to rent that. And YOU are going to watch it with me." He said, "Sure, why not?" I gave him a quizzical look and said, "Really? It's all Abba music, can you handle that?" He shrugged and said, "I'm not sure I know any of their music." So I did my best impersonation of "Dancing Queen" and "Take a Chance on Me" (which is very hard to do when you have to sing all of the parts by yourself). He still didn't recognize either so I pulled several Abba songs up on the computer. Nothing!!! I believe my husband was born under a rock and stayed there for far too long. Who doesn't know Abba?! To make matters worse, he was in happy denial until he heard the songs. I was then promptly told that he would not, under any circumstances, watch the movie with me. As he was saying these terrible words, I was still doing my best dance moves while singing, "Take a chance, take a chance, take a chance, take a chance..." RUDE!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...