Sunday, December 7, 2008

All I Want For Christmas Is To Keep My Teeth...

Our church staff meets every Thursday morning and there are always interesting discussions (ok, not always--but in the spirit of Christmas and giving, I'm going to say always). At our last meeting someone mentioned most children no longer know Christmas carols. I'm not talking about "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" or "Jolly Old St. Nicholas." I'm talking Christian Christmas carols: "Silent Night," "What Child is This," "Away in a Manger," etc.

It broke my heart.

I love Santa, I love his sleigh, and you better believe I love that underrated reindeer in all of his red-nosed glory, but let's remember WHY we have Christmas, folks. So I'm asking all of you out there with adorable kiddos, don't forget to teach them ALL of the carols this year.

My personal favorite is "What Child is This?" I still get chills every time I hear, "This, THIS is Christ the King..." If you're near your iTunes account (which I know you are since you're reading this--woohoo!), I recommend downloading Third Day's version. Beautiful. And if you'd rather your ears bleed, download Jessica Simpson's version. Kidding. Sort of.

On a lighter subject, a Christmas story I'd like to share...

When I was in kindergarten, my best friend and I were Joseph and Mary in the Christmas play. Yes, Mary had a blonde bowl cut that year. Slim pickings for sure. Anyway, we sat at the front of the stage while the rest of the class sat on bleachers behind us. I was to sing the third verse of "Away in a Manger." All. By. Myself. It was my big break and the North star couldn't compete with the stars in my eyes. As everyone was getting situated, some JACKASS (er.. jerk) behind the curtain moved and knocked me clear off the stage. Next thing the audience knew, Mary was bawling her eyes out after falling 5 feet and landing flat on her face. I'd already been in speech therapy for my inability to say my R's and S's, so you can imagine how messed up my words were after obtaining several loose teeth to boot. My teacher and parents calmed me down and I remember my tears drying up after I was given rootbeer scratch n' sniff stickers. I got back up on the stage as I knew the show must go on. I'm pretty sure my solo sounded like this...

Be nehw me, Lod Jethuth,
I athk Thee to thtay
Cloth by me foheveh
And love me I pway

Bleth all the deaw childwen
In Thy tendew cawe
And take uth to heaven
To live with Thee thew

(Oh who are we kidding, it was the cutest thing anyone had ever witnessed at King Elementary. They built a statue in my honor.) :)

Mehwy Chwithmuth.

4 comments:

Susie said...

You nailed it!
And I can't stop laughing...

Leslie said...

You never know, Mere...the Virgin Mary totally could have been rocking the bowl cut.

Lisa said...

I miss the days when a scratch and sniff sticker made everything all better...

Emily said...

the picture is darling... love that you have pictures like this at your house!! so cute

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...