Thursday, February 18, 2010

Five Golden (Er... Brightly Colored) Rings!

It's that time again--the time where I spend several continuous hours on a couch watching very talented and in-shape people do pretty spectacular things. During past Olympics there was always a brief moment where I thought, "If I start training now, maybe I can be there in four years." Now, at the ripe old age of 27, I have succumbed to the fact that it's never going to happen. My only medals are the result of science fairs and honors programs.

Since this has taken up so much of my time, I'd like to share a few thoughts with you.

Commercials. I am a sensitive soul, I am. When they first ran the mom commercials I teared up and felt all mushy. Then I saw them 84 times in one hour and now I'm all, "Hey mom, let your kid go already. Yeesh."

Jeans. This is apparently the fashion trend of the 2010 Olympics. Whether they're real jeans, faux jeans, or man jeggings, they're everywhere. And I think it's weird.

...But not as weird as pink tassles or nude tops on men. Michael and I were watching couples figure skating the other day and the girl was wearing a tiara (sidenote: not a fan of tiaras). So in a high pitched voice I squealed, "I'm a PRINCESS!" And then my funny husband replied in a very low voice, "Me toooooo." Sure enough, it was quite obvious the couple consisted of not one but two very pretty princesses.

Sean White is freaking amazing.

I know it's dorky, but whenever I watch the Olympics it's just another reminder of how proud I am to be an American (where at least I know I'm free). We live in a pretty great place, ya know? Pink tassles, man jeggings, body suits stamped with way too many stars, the whole bit. I love it. And even if it's ridiculously ironic how a huge group of athletic people can cause me to be a complete couch potato for two weeks, I think that's alright.

(And you know I can't wait to scream, "Feel the rhythm, feel the rhyme, get on up, it's bobsled time! Cool Runniiiiiiings!!")

5 comments:

S said...

1) Your Cool Runnings reference made my entire day and it's only 8:15 - good job you!
2) Bryan and I had a similar discussion about figure skating last night. I commented how I thought it was funny that the male skaters try really hard to look all strong and manly in their faces and gestures, then are wearing sequins. It just sends a mixed message.
3) Sean White is amazing, but I still struggle with really calling something a sport when you are wearing jeans to compete. It's not like you see people playing beach volleyball in jeans...it's Maverick and "Playin' with the Boys" is playing in the background.

Unknown said...

Meredith,
Buzzzz bbbuzzzzz buuuz bbbbuzz?
(Brandi can translate if necessary.)
A(R)H

Leslie said...

Obsessed with the Olympics. We tivo every bit of it and then just sit on our butts all night! Kinda like how I eat junk food while watching The Biggest Loser

Jax said...

I feel ya on the "proud to be an American" thing.. I got teary when I saw the opening ceremonies.. gosh. So funny b/c I, too, used to think I'd somehow be able to become a gymnast or skater in like 4 years time.. or 8 if I worked really hard.. haha.. I havent been watching enough lately to comment toooo much, but I did see some of the weirdo outfits with skating. I seriously sat there and thought "did they always wear this stuff?" Glad to hear I'm not the only one who thought that.. ha!

ty said...

Merd, I think like, 50% of the population has the midterm dream. I have it, my mom has it, the 60 y.o.doctor in my class had it for thirty years after med school ... and it's the most horrifying dream ever. I've actually gotten up in the middle of the night when I was OUT of school to check online to make sure I wasn't enrolled.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...