Monday, July 21, 2008

A-mi-nals

Warning: This post is 90% about animals. Any of you who don't like animals (heartless souls...) should skip it entirely.

After work on Thursday, a huge group from Samson went to Oscar's Gastropub for Garrett's goodbye party. Michael and I typically show up to events right on time while everyone else seems to run late, so we decided this time we would be the fashionably late ones. We walked in at 5:20 (party started at 5) and took 2 of the last 4 seats. It was an extremely long table and we weren't friends with any of our seat neighbors. Argh. A few others arrived who we did know and took the remaining seats next to us. Big sigh of relief. While we were at Oscar's, I had my first experience with fried green beans. I've had several people in my lifetime ask why I was so adament on living in the south. New answer: fried green beans. (Previous answers have been "fried okra" or "fried macaroni bites." Consistency has always been a strength of mine...)

Friday I went to work and then met mom and Mrs. Townley at Queenies for lunch. It was so great to see them both. We wandered around Utica Square for an hour and then drove to Michael's and my home. Mrs. Townley had never seen it before so I was able to give the grand tour, which is always fun. They stayed for several hours (felt like a few minutes) before they drove back to the Fort. I took a 20-minute power nap and then Michael and I headed to the horse races.

Didn't think they had horse races in Tulsa? Yea, me either. I was pretty skeptical but we had a great time. Samson had a tent on the grounds so we had as much bbq and beer as we pleased. Michael and I bet 3 times and won once. It did not start off well--our first horse was dead last. I think, nay, I KNOW I could have run faster than the beast. (Ha--did anyone else pick up on the "nay" pun?) I didn't understand all of the tiny numbers so my picks were chosen entirely off of the horses' names. Fun times. We went to a friend's house afterwards before we headed home. Very fun night.

Our winning ticket!

Big winners! (We'd spent $4 purchasing tickets so you're looking at a profit of $1.60)

On Saturday we continued the grand animal tour by going to the Tulsa zoo. It was approx 120 degrees outside and we missed seeing a few of the animals because they were resting comfortably in their indoor dens. We would have been pretty disappointed had we paid for our tickets but they were given to us so we couldn't complain. I saw a lot of really funny looking animals and others that were very beautiful. The monkeys cracked me up. I laughed the hardest, however, at the road runner. A few of you know about Michael's tendency to run.... everywhere. For example, if he is in the living room and wants to check something on the computer, he sprints the 20 feet to get there. And then sprints back. If you are ever talking to him on the phone, please know that he is running around our house the entire time. Me? I get comfortable in our bed and don't move at all. Anyway... The roadrunner had 2 areas in his entire open room that held his interest. He'd stay in one spot for a bit and then dart to the other spot. Pause. Then dart right back to where he was. I kept thinking, "Who does this remind me of?" And then it hit me. My own little road runner, Michael. It was great.


Thumbs sits like this...

Behind Michael is a ginormous bear...

Old man river...

There is a zebra in the background. He liked my shirt:


After the zoo we lounged around at home. Michael wanted me to watch Batman Begins before we saw the Dark Knight so we made a mexican fiesta and settled in to watch some superheroes. Sunday began with church, a quick lunch (mexican fiesta 2.0) and then we saw the darkest movie I have seen in a long time. I thought it was really good, Michael LOVED it. So there you have it.

Saturday night I was sitting in our office when Michael asked if I'd seen Thumbs in her latest spot. He was standing at the doorway of our guest bathroom and I took a quick peek (and then grabbed my camera). Is she not the greatest? Oh Thumbs, what joy you bring to our lives!


She is sporting her new collar...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that we've established that Thumbs and her Lion cousin sit similarly, the real debate becomes which one weighs more?

Leslie said...

I love that you wore animal print to the zoo. Very festive.

Susie said...

Friday's has the best fried green beans ever! Dip in a bit of Wasabi sauce...mmmmmmm

Anonymous said...

Thumbs looks toooo comfortable in the sink! Did you check it later for any "deposits". She was in the bathroom, after all.

DAD : )

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...