Wednesday, September 19, 2012

32 Weeks!

We reached our first (mini) goal!  Yesterday was 32 weeks, which is something we've been praying for from the beginning.  Hooray!

We saw both doctors today and received some shocking news.  My weekly email says the average weight of a baby at 32 weeks is 3 lbs 12 oz.  Since Jude and Sloane have both been rather large from the beginning I was hoping they would each weigh a little over 4 lbs.  Michael decided to be bold and guessed they'd weigh around 4 lbs 6 oz.  I laughed at his silliness.

Well.

Our perinatologist checked the usual measurements of the babies (both head down--hooray Sloane!) and with each measurement he either laughed or murmured a quiet "wow."  Ready for their weights?

Sloane (our "petite" twin): 4 lbs 11 oz
Jude: 5 lbs

Folks, with almost 6 weeks to go our babies weigh just under 10 pounds.

I couldn't stop laughing.  Mostly because if I stopped I'd start crying.  Let's be honest, their weights are amazing and I couldn't be more ecstatic but my poor stomach is already begging for mercy and it has a LONG ways to go.  He checked everything else and I'm showing no signs of pre-term labor.  In fact, he told us he really wants me to make it to 38 weeks so we can set a new world record.

I think he was kidding.

The other thing to keep in mind is these are simply estimates (based on measurements of head, stomach, and femur).  I've had plenty of friends who were told their babies weighed a certain amount and came out weighing two pounds less--it's all uncertain until they're put on that scale.  And regardless of weight they still have a long ways to go.  Lung development is the very last thing that occurs so they're not ready to be out in the real world.  Not to mention I'm certain 3 pounds of Jude is his head. :)

Next was the OBGYN appointment, which was short and sweet.  She reviewed their stats and then told me about a set of twins who weighed 8 and 9 pounds at birth.  I'm still not sure if she was telling me this to make me feel better or to prepare me for a similar situation.

She was happy with my glucose numbers so I get to drop another test, which brings me down to two finger pricks a day.  I can handle that!

Weight gain and blood pressure look good.  No swelling and no need for bed rest.  Yahoo!

My parents were in town last weekend and my mom was nice enough to take some pictures of us (thank you mom)!  Most of you have already seen them on Facebook but for those who haven't, here are way too many pictures...

 A few days shy of 32 weeks...













When you look at this picture it's very easy to believe I'm carrying 10 pounds of babies!





My mom's idea.  I love it!


7 comments:

Jenni (Mac) D said...

You are BEAUTIFUL friend!! Love the pictures! And I love love love that Jude and Sloane seem to be healthy and happy in their temporary home! Can't wait for the next few weeks to unfold!!

Aubrey said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous! I love them all. Hooray on reaching 32 weeks and 10 +/- 2 pounds of baby! :)

Ashley said...

Its amazes me how our bodies work. So glad that Jude and Sloane are still doing great, and growing growing growing apparently! You are still looking beautiful Mama! Love these pictures!

Trish @ Love, Laughter, Insanity said...

Every time I read one of these updates I beam with how well you and the babes are doing. What a blessing. And you look amazing. I think we need to squeeze in another lunch date soon. ;) I'm glad you posted the pictures in the white dress because I had only seen a few of the orange top pictures on FB. Makes me kick myself for not taking any shots--even though deep down I know that Scott probably wouldn't have cooperated anyway. Boo. You look beautiful.

Congrats on 32!! I think you're in this for the long-haul. You need one of those back braces that construction workers use when doing heavy lifting!

Laura said...

Hurray for 32 weeks! Can't believe you have 10 pounds of baby in there! I know I felt pretty giant and uncomfortable right before I had Nolan, and he was just a little over 8 pounds. You are amazing, and I'm so glad everything is looking so great with both you and those babies. You look absolutely NOTHING like the witch on Bugs Bunny, but instead like a slender person with a basketball under her shirt! :) I know you would look great pregnant!

Courtney Edwards said...

I cant tell you enough but seriously, you looking so amazing! Your pictures are so perfect too! Love your outfits and the coral color. Michael looks so happy in each one, so sweet! Yay on babies progress!!!! What a blessing, keep cookin Haynes twins!

The Echols Family said...

Love every single one of your pictures! You are so beautiful, and I am so happy for you guys! You are doing such an amazing job taking care of those sweet babes already! Hang in there, girl! I know the last several weeks can be rough, but so worth it when you meet your precious blessings for the first time. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...