Tuesday, January 5, 2010

For Better or For Worse

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I don't really do resolutions. However! Michael and I decided on a joint resolution and I'm really excited about it (our last joint resolution ended with him quitting after 3 days--here's hoping for better results this time around).

I don't cook. I bake. And rarely do I do that. Both of us actually enjoy cooking but we fall into ruts where it's just easier to cook the same darn thing all of the time. And by cook I mean "heat up" or "add one ingredient." I love you Shells & Cheese but for Pete's (and Meredith's and Michael's) sake it is time to retire you.

As I was looking in our empty cupboards the other day I had an idea. What if our resolution was to cook two new recipes each week? (I realize there are seven days in a week but baby steps people!) 104 new recipes in 2010. I shared the idea with Michael and he was up for the challenge so we pulled out our cookbooks and started tagging recipes that sounded delicious. This resolution only has two requirements: we cook two new recipes each week (no repeats) and we do it together. And if we have a busy week and only get to one, we'll just cook three the following week.

We're calling it "For Better or For Worse" and to keep us accountable I'm going to keep track of it on here (take a looksie right over there -->). After each dish, we'll rate it as either (wait for it...) "Better" or "Worse." I don't plan on writing blog posts about our project unless a recipe is ridiculously good or I have a funny story to share.

So there you have it! The Haynes' family resolution! As you can see we made our first meal tonight, which was Spaghetti Carbonara. Conclusion: Worse.

Hey, you can't win them all.

9 comments:

katandkarl said...

good resolution! i also tend to cook the same thing over and over (and over)! Like nachos. And frozen pizza. And, um, Subway sandwiches!

Kaitlin said...

I love that idea! And, I tried our first "home-cooked" meal of 2010 tonight too...you'll be happy to know it would have earned a big fat "W" as well.

Christie said...

I'm also trying to cook some new stuff in 2010- at least one new recipe a month for me! It will be a lot of fun to do this with your husband and I wish you both luck sticking to it.

Anonymous said...

great idea. i think 2 is not a baby step, that's a HUGE step. way to go, i should do the same thing!

ty said...

that's such a good idea. i make patrick the same five things over and over and over ... this could be tempting.

Leslie said...

I have a killer recipe for Spaghetti Carbonara that I will have to send you...it is one of my favorites! Hello...bacon, eggs, cheese, pasta...what is not to love? (But the whole stirring eggs into hot pasta bit can be tricky!)

Laura said...

Great idea! I'm the same way--I "cook" the same things over and over and over until we get tired of them and start to eat out too much. You are definitely going to have to fill me in on the details of your cooking adventures!

Candace said...

this is seriously such a cute idea! I am thinking maybe the Emerson's need to get in on this as well. It is so easy to get stuck with the same thing every week for dinner! Good luck!

Jax said...

First of all, this is a great resolution. Second of all, you guys are adorable. :) Keep us updated.. maybe a running list of what you're making somewhere? Eh? (Fine fine.. I just want to steal ideas, but whatever). Good luck, love! I consider it a domestic victory to have a hand mixer (thanks, mom). haha.. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...