Monday, May 12, 2008

Thank You :)

Today is my birthday. I wish I could say it's not a big deal to me but (sadly) it still is. I love birthdays, cards in the mail, cakes with my name on them... I love attention. But for this post, I'd like to move to a much more important event that happens in the month of May.

Mother's Day.

My parents came to visit this weekend and Michael's and my measly gift to mom was a card and lunch at Queenies, one of her favorite spots in Tulsa. In an attempt at frugality, Michael and I decided that this year we would only buy Christmas gifts for our parents. I broke last week and said the least we could do was buy her lunch, and so that was what we did. A lunch. Here's a quiche Mom, thanks for spending hours upon hours taking care of me, laughing with me, crying with me, moving me to Tulsa, moving me back to Fort Smith, moving me once again to Tulsa, the list goes on and on.

I'm not trying to say "money buys happiness" or that an expensive gift would have been a better token of our love because there isn't a gift out there that would ever be good enough for her. She's priceless.

Some of my favorite mom memories...

1. When I was much younger (and much shorter), I would put on her shirts and belt the waist so I would be wearing a gorgeous dress. It wasn't complete without size 6 heels on child-sized feet.

2. Laying out by the pool in the summer. For the longest time I hated laying out (I'd much rather be in the pool) but I would try so hard to sit still in my chair so she and I could talk. Most of the time that lasted 5 minutes, but it was worth it.

3. Driving to Tulsa to shop when I was in junior high. We would make an entire weekend of it and I always had a blast.

4. Seeing her every day in high school. Most kids couldn't wait to get away from their parents, I couldn't wait to be near mine.

5. Packing up my freshman year dorm room into one car. I will never forget opening the sun roof and throwing the last bit of things through it (if we opened any of the doors we would have had a massacre).

There are so, so many more. Mom, I can't thank you enough for always being there for me. Your optimism and wisdom have helped me through some of my darkest times and your constant encouragement has allowed me to see that I am so lucky, and so blessed. You are always finding that silver lining, even when it is far away.

Your heart is so big--I've never understood how it could fit in such a tiny person. Thanks for giving me life and showing me how great this life can be. I love you.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank YOU for being such a dear, gracious daughter. I must pause to wipe a tear. No mother could ask for more love and kind words than what you constantly show me. And lunch at Queenies has such fond memories for me that I would be happy to spend every Mother's Day there, at lunch, having my quiche and salad, with my daughter.
I love you!
Mom

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...