Friday, February 15, 2008

February--Take a hike!

There are 2 (count 'em--2) redeeming qualities about February.

1. Justonian's birthday
2. Short month

No, I didn't forget to include Valentine's day--I don't find it redeeming enough to be considered a quality. :) It's a fine day, I don't mind the colors red or pink (although I find them to be a hideous combination) and I'm not going to say I don't love a good meal and a sweet gift from my favorite person. But! If the day were to fall off a bridge or disappear into the woods, I can't say I'd shed many tears.

If you can't tell, I'm full force into my annual winter slump. I want to be the groundhog and find some hole to crawl into (one that is big enough to fit my husband, television, microwave and a stack of books) and safely stay there until the sun decides to come out and play. I've always preferred warm weather, but I do begin each winter season with immense optimism. It lasts until mid-January and then I begin itching (literally itching--stupid winter skin) to get to May and the glorious warmth that comes with it. I consider myself pretty modest, but February is about the time my appendages are sick of being covered up. Just like my brain, they need some sun too!!

This is not going to be a negative post so I believe I will list 5 things that have made me smile this week:

1. My 1.5 hour talk with my brother on his birthday
2. The funny V-Day card from my parents
3. Driving to work in the morning with Michael (great way to start my day)
4. Free pizza at J-Life
5. Seeing Kait try on her wedding dress!
BONUS! I am one of three people in Tulsa that has not come down with the flu (Michael is the second of those three people)

I could go on but I won't. I do think it is important to remember the good things in slumpy times. Yes, slumpy. If we're allowed to feel sorry for ourselves for more than a few minutes, things go from bad to unbearable. I don't want that.

Michael's parents are visiting this weekend and it will be great to see them. They are very easy to entertain so it should be a relaxing weekend for all of us (and you know how much I love those)!

And I'll end with a confession. Michael and I are HOOKED on Law & Order and Without A Trace. If you are patient and search long enough, you can find one of them on television 24 hours a day. And with our new best friend, DVR, we are able to record said shows and watch them (a) whenever we choose and (b)... wait for it... WITHOUT commercials! It is fabulous! My attention span is minimal (I've covered 18 different topics in one post) so give me a mystery that begins and ends in 45 minutes and we have a winner!

Since I began this post, I have made up my mind that I am going to beat February--not in the literal sense (although that would be a funny visual) but in the purest way. Chin up, shoulders back, walking right through it with a smile on my face. It'll make me a better person and who knows? Perhaps I'll find another redeeming quality along the way. I'm up for the challenge.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...